BPMN 2.0 is…
BPMN 2.0 is not…
· A formal industry standard.
· A standardized way of expressing processes (common visual language).
· Applicable (with value) to a pure business domain.
· A foundation for standardized exchange of process resources.
· Executable at the highest level of detail.
· A substitute for SOA standards.
· A process editor (but it can support one).
· A programming model.
· A platform.
· A discipline.
· An architectural approach.
BPMN 2.0 is an important standard for interchanging process models and IBM has been working diligently to ensure that all process modeling capable IBM tools (IBM Blueworks Live, IBM Business Process Manager, WebSphere Business Modeler, Rational Software Architect and Rational System Architect) support BPMN 2.0 based interchange. While the various tools serve different roles and purposes, hence leverage different subsets of BPMN 2.0 elements, all of them will support interchanges based on the full BPMN 2.0 schema and will gracefully handle import of any BPMN 2.0 compliant artifact.